Click here for Apple Link with List of all their Short Cuts.
UseFul Short Cuts:
- Screen Shot: Command-Shift-3
- Force your Mac to restart: Command–Control–Power button
- Open a New Safari Window: Command C
Document Short Cuts:
- Command-Control-D: Show or hide the definition of the selected word.
- Command-Shift-Colon (🙂 Display the Spelling and Grammar window.
- Command-Semicolon (;) Find misspelled words in the document.
- Fn–Up Arrow Page Up: Scroll up one page.
Fn–Down Arrow Page Down: Scroll down one page.
- Command-Option-C Copy Style: Copy the formatting settings of the selected item to the Clipboard.
- Command-Option-V Paste Style: Apply the copied style to the selected item.
- Command-Shift-Option-V Paste and Match Style: Apply the style of the surrounding content to the item pasted within that content.
Finder Short Cuts
- Command-Option-L Open the Downloads folder.
- Command-Shift-O Open the Documents folder.
- Command-Spacebar – Spotlight which searches your computer
- Command-Shift-K Open the Network window.
- Command-Shift-N Create a new folder.
- Command-Y Use Quick Look to preview the selected files.
- Command-Delete Move the selected item to the Trash.
- Command-Shift-Delete Empty the Trash. 😂
- Allows you to send things via bluetooth or wireless 🐔
- Part of icloud
- Same household – choose other devices on the network and send pictures, files or anything that you want
- only with other apple devices.
- Back up information on computer hard drive
- Apps/purchased licensed to an ID account. Need to be transferred to my computer so anyone can use them. *If no internet connection anyone on that computer can you use. It is like a digital hard copy.
- way to store the apps and transfer to other device or as a way to wipe my phone and have a place to store the apps.
- Digital hardcopy comes into play – wont be able to check license on device – it tells the computer that it is okay to transfer the applications to another account
- Example: CD – download music to computer. If you want to borrow the CD to someone – if you put the license on the computer then everyone can use it. It would allow “authorizing” the computer to give information to other devices.
- Encrypt option is to keep others from using your stuff – password protect your information
Apple Iphone Ring Tone
- Use Garage band or other 3rd party to edit a song you already have to use it as a ring tone. (instead of purchasing a ring tone).
- Lets you access everything on ALL of your devices
- You can find any of your devices & disable your device if stolen
- If you create notes on your iphone in order to be able to read them the other systems have to have the latest update.
What is NVRAM?
A small amount of your computer’s memory, called “non-volatile random-access memory” or NVRAM, stores certain settings in a location that OS X can access quickly. The settings that are stored in NVRAM depend on the type of Mac you’re using, and the types of devices connected to it.
Information stored in NVRAM can include:
Startup disk selection
Recent kernel panic information, if any
If you experience issues related to these features, you might need to reset the NVRAM on your computer. For example, if your Mac starts up from a startup disk other than the one you’ve specified in Startup Disk preferences, or if a question mark icon appears briefly when your Mac starts up.
Resetting NVRAM Steps:
- Shut down your Mac.
- Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
- Turn on your Mac.
- Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
- Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
- Release the keys.
- After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.
Short Cuts from Google Search Websites for Apple Mac:
- cmd-opt-n-v Clear NV RAM. Similar to reset-all in Open Firmware.
- ctl-cmd-shift-power Reset power manager (with computer off)
- cmd-opt-esc Force quit current app
- opt-“Empty Trash” Emptry trash without locked file or contents summary alert. Empties locked items, as well
- Give Your Computer a Restart. To see how long your computer has been running without a restart open Terminal and type upwrite then hit enter. it will tell you in the format: days, hours, minutes.
Wireless Network Problems (IP address issues, Server issues, internet issues, DNS issues, WAN connection issues):
- There is a better diagnostic available by holding the “Option” key while clocking the Wi-Fi icon on the menu bar & Selecting “wireless diagnostics”
- Try this SIMPLE trick – click the WiFi symbol on the top row of the screen, instead of selecting the network which you use to connect to the internet, select “Join other network” simply type in the information for your network (name, encryption mode (WPA,WEP…) and the password) — the connection may be established and working again!