This Glitter Jar is a Creative way to get your kids to calm down when they get out of control or frustrated. This will give your child something to focus on for 5 minutes while calming down. This is also known as a calming, “mind jar”. It also works as a fun timer for kids for just about anything! Brushing teeth, reading time, homework, etc…….
Super easy!! Not too expensive.
- A jar of your choice (empty mayo jar if you want plastic jar instead of glass)
- Glitter Glue (Dollar store)
- Corn Syrup (amount depends on how thick and slow you want the glitter to settle)
- Food coloring (2 drops)
- Warm water
- Mix 1 tablespoon of glitter-glue with about 1 cup of hot water, stir until the glue “melts” and mixes. add more water to fill the jar once the glue melts.
- Add food coloring and a tiny tub of glitter. (amounts depend on how you want it to look).
- At this point you will notice that the glitter settles really quick! Not enough time to focus and gather thoughts. So ADD corn syrup, 1 tablespoon at a time until it is the “thickness” you want.
- Super Glue the Top to prevent accidents.
Ideas on How To Use:
When you first start to notice your kids getting upset – suggest that they use the glitter jar and tell them they cannot get up until it is clear. If they reply “NO!” – shake the Glitter Jar yourself and place it somewhere close to them, where they can see it – hopefully they will look at it and calm down!